Popular with competition weight lifters and CrossFit enthusiasts, bumper plates are dense rubber weights designed to protect your floor when dropped from a distance, such as during deadlifts, snatches, and clean and jerk exercises.
Plus, as they fit standard-size barbells and have a larger diameter, they can be used along with iron plates.
Bumper plates are available in a variety of weights, thicknesses, prices, and materials, making it tricky to know which product to buy.
To help you out, we researched the best bumper plates using the following criteria:
- Cost. We included products at a variety of price points.
- Reviews. All of the bumper plates on this list have fair and mostly favorable reviews.
- Durability. We looked for bumper plates made with high quality materials, including durable rubber.
Here are the 6 best bumper plates of 2021.
- Price: $$
- Available weight range: 10–55 pounds (4.5–25 kg)
- Key takeaway: slim design allows for plenty of room for weight plates
Despite their reasonable price tag, these bumper plates from PINROYAL have glowing customer reviews for their quality and durability.
The plates feature 2-inch (5.1-cm) smooth steel inserts, making them easy to rack on most standard barbells.
They’re also slimmer than many other bumper plates, allowing you to stack more weights on your bar for heavy lifting.
The PINROYAL plates are made from recycled natural rubber and are available in weights of 10 pounds (4.5 kg), 15 pounds (6.8 kg), 25 pounds (11.3 kg), 35 pounds (15.8 kg), 45 pounds (20.4 kg), and 55 pounds (25 kg).
Just keep in mind that the plates are sold individually rather than in pairs.
- Price: $$
- Available weight range: 10–45 pound (4.5–20.5 kg) pairs, with 120–460 pound (54.5–209.1 kg) sets available
- Key takeaway: great option for assembling a home gym on a budget
If you’re looking for a bumper plate set that won’t break the bank, these weight plates are worth considering.
Made from 100% rubber, the plates offer a 2-inch (5-cm) opening for a secure fit on Olympic-size barbells.
The insert is also made from stainless steel to help the plates maintain their shape over time — an important feature if you plan on dropping them from high up.
One thing to note is that while they’re advertised as low odor, several reviewers note that the plates have a strong rubbery smell, which goes away after airing them out.
The plates are sold in both pairs and sets.
Best competition plates
- Price: $$$
- Available weight range: 25–55 pound (11.4–25 kg) pairs
- Key takeaway: ideal for heavy lifting, as they’re designed to be durable with minimal bounce
These black training plates from Rogue Fitness are a favorite among casual exercisers, CrossFit enthusiasts, and competition weight lifters alike.
The plates feature a chrome-plated steel disk with a 50.4-mm opening to provide a snug fit on Olympic-size barbells.
What’s more, they’re designed to be easy to identify and hold thanks to their color-coded stripes and lipped edges. They also have a slim profile, allowing for plenty of room for weights.
Depending on the retailer, these training plates are sold in pairs, ranging from 25–55 pounds (11.4–25 kg), or sets offering up to 320 pounds (145.4 kg).
Best colorful plates
- Price: $$
- Available weight range: 10–55 pound (4.5–24.9 kg) pairs, with 160–370 pound (72.5–167.8 kg) sets available
- Key takeaway: color-coded bumper plates make it easy to quickly grab the weight you need
In addition to brightening up your home gym, these brightly colored bumper plates make it easy to identify your desired weight, as they’re color-coded by size.
They’re also made from recycled rubber with stainless steel inserts for enhanced durability.
What’s more, the plates are factory-tested to withstand more than 12,000 drops from a distance of 8 feet (2.4 meters).
Another notable feature is their thin profile, which when properly loaded, allows you to fit up to 515 pounds (233.6 kg) on an Olympic-size bar.
These bumper plates are available in pairs from 10–55 pounds (4.5–24.9 kg) and sets, which range from 160–370 pounds (72.5–167.8 kg).
- Price: $$$
- Available weight range: 10–55 pounds (4.5–24.9 kg)
- Key takeaway: solid, high quality plates that are a good fit for both CrossFit-style workouts and Olympic weight training
Made with 100% high density natural rubber and stainless steel inserts, AMGYM’s bumper plates are designed to be durable and low bounce, making them ideal for CrossFit-style workouts.
They’re also color-coded by weight, making them a great option for both personal use and group settings.
The weights are available as singles or in sets of two, with options for 10-pound (4.5-kg), 35-pound (15.8-kg), 45-pound (20.4-kg), or 55-pound (24.9-kg) plates.
Best single plate
- Price: $
- Available weight range: 10–45 pounds (4.5–20.5 kg)
- Key takeaway: solid, budget-friendly option that is easy to slide on or off standard-size barbells
While bumper plates are commonly sold in pairs, CAP offers single plates, which are useful for performing various weighted ab and lower back exercises. They’re also convenient if you need a replacement plate.
As with others on this list, these Olympic bumper plates are color-coded, making it easy to identify your desired weight.
What’s more, they’re highly rated for being accurately weighted. Though, some customers note that the 10-pound plate is more fragile than the others and can bend with regular use.
These Olympic bumper plates are made from durable recycled rubber and are available in weights of 10 (4.5 kg), 25 (11.3 kg), 35 (15.8 kg), and 45 (20.5 kg) pounds.